Tuesday, November 18, 2008

So Much To Be Thankful For...

I saw a national poll the other day that said 67% of Americans are unhappy. I can't turn on the news for more than a second, these days, without feeling like the world is crashing down. There are so many things to be unhappy about....right?
I once heard a story about a King who was ill. To find healing, he needed to acquire the shirt off the back of someone sincerely happy. So his servants searched and searched and couldn't find anyone who was truly happy. Sure, they found people who were laughing and having a good time, but not really happy. Finally, after a long search, they searched a place they least expected to find someone happy - the poorest neighborhood in the kingdom. But, to their surprise, they found a man who was sincerely happy! There was only one problem, he didn't even own a shirt!
Maybe it's time to turn off the TV and make a list of things we're truly grateful for. In doing this it's quite amazing what makes the list after you get past the surface things. Things we haven't consciously thanked God for in a long time. No matter our circumstance, we do have so much to be thankful for and through that thankfulness comes true happiness. I think we have to delete the things we've been taught about being happy. It really is a choice. A choice that belongs to each of us. I know life can get quite difficult. I know there are times when the light at the end of the tunnel turns out to be a freight train. Times when the future looks quite bleak. But, I also know the one who holds that future. The one who asks us to trust in the Lord with all our heart and lean not on our own understanding. I love that verse in Proverbs. Lean not on your own understanding - my understanding of things can quite often make me very anxious. Maybe that's why God said it - and then advised us to not be anxious about anything - Philippians 4. No matter your situation, my prayer is that you will be able to find true happiness this Thanksgiving and Christmas season. We do have so much to be thankful for!

No comments: