Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Slow Down...Please!

Just last week, we celebrated my daughter's eighth birthday. I remember, like it was yesterday, holding her for the first time. Praying; "Lord, please help me be a great father and guide me in raising her and please, Jesus, let her come to know you." I remember thinking about how fast it was going to go, but never could have imagined it would seem this fast. Tara and I had decided when our daughter was about two months old that we would wait until she was eight to have her ears pierced. At the time it seemed like a lifetime away. And yet, it was one night just last month I was walking toward my daughter's room to tuck her in and overheard her conversation with Tara. They were talking about earrings. As I walked into the room, I asked with a smile "What are you two discussing earrings for, you're not getting your ears pierced until you're..." Then it dawned on me. I knew she was about to turn eight, but didn't realize she was about to turn eight!
A couple of weeks later, we took the entire family to witness the ear piercing and then for our traditional birthday ice cream outing. As I stood there watching her hold tightly to Tara's hand, I couldn't help but grow slightly sad. If these eight years went that fast, how much faster are the next eight going to go? To further complicate my feelings, eight years from right now, she'll be the age her mom was when we started dating. I'm definitely not ready for that! How the memories started to rush in. Instantly, I started to remember so many things we've done together, the special moments, the milestones, the laughter, even the tears! At that moment, they served as yet another reminder of how important it is to make the days count. They are numbered. And, although the years will fly by, we have control of the days that make up those years! God's amazing! He has answered our prayer so many times over. If these next eight years are even half as wonderful as the first, it will be pretty awesome! Sure, these next eight years will have their own set of challenges, difficulties, but, also their own beautiful moments.
I really do wish there was a way to slow time down. But, looking back with as little regret as possible, will be far more valuable than seemingly more time. In the meantime, I will continue to ask God to help me, do my best, to make the most of each day.

1 comment:

Trish said...

I know how you feel. I have three children 17, 18, & 21. We have just had two birthdays recently ourselves. My boys have just turned 17 and 21. My oldest just turned 21 two days ago. I cannot believe my baby has grown up to be the young man he is today. He is a great basketball player and uses his talent to reach out to others. He uses our church gym to play ball with other young men. This opens doors to so many in the community. When I look at that young man I cry with joy and thank God for giving me that baby 21 years ago. I am so proud of the man he turned out to be. He loves the Lord and shows that to others around him. My 18 yr old (only daughter) just started her first year of bible college. She was lonely and homesick she called me every day that first couple of weeks. I stood strong and told her she could not come home that it would get better. I knew in my heart that is where God wanted her. After the calls my prayers and tears were great. My heart ached for hers I knew she was not used to being away from home and I did not want her to cry. I know it was the right decision to make her stay. The calls are now few (almost never in fact) and far in between. I still pray because now my heart aches to hear from her but I know the lack of calls is good. She has found a church and made friends. She loves “her” college. I know she is safe and in God’s hands he is doing great things in her life. Then there’s my baby (oh how he hates that I call him that). He is strong and grown into a wonderful young man. He just turned 17 a month ago. He has had the opportunity to attend a Christian high school in another state. He had wonderful Godly men to lead him and coach him. He is a great wrestler in fact he was an undefeated stat champ as a sophomore. The family he stayed with had lost a son in a car accident that was just two years older than mine. Their son was a wrestler and my son reminded them of the one they lost. They were able to work through some of their pain and my son was able to help them with that. God used them both is so many ways. So while I was missing my baby he was helping a family who needed life in their home again. Well my baby (due to finances) is back at home this year. I pray even more now because he is attending a public school for the first time in years. He is seeing more than I would like. He is a strong young man being away from home has grown him in so many ways. He knows more about the bible and how to use it in his life. He is physically strong and a great wrestler his Christian coach, an Olympic champion has taught him ways to stay in his faith in this world and lifestyle of wrestling. He has a shirt that he wears to ever y meet he goes to it says “Jesus Christ is Life the rest is wrestling”. He puts God first and works hard to reach his goals he knows God has given him a talent and he is using to reach others. I stay in prayer for my children and I cannot believe these young adults are those babies that I held that seems like just yesterday. Oh how time flies I wish I could slow it down but we can’t. My advice to you…… take pictures, make videos, and cherish every moment you have time goes by so fast. Those babies will soon be having babies of their own. If they come to know the Lord and grow up to be respectful people who put the Lord first in everything they do then we have done the job God has given us to do. In reality they are not ours, they are His and He has given them to us only for a short time. We need to do the best with what God gives us that includes out children. I hope the comment was not too long. I just felt your pain. I hear all of you guys on the radio everyday and I feel like I know you better when you share your life. I hope you can know your listeners better by heaaring about their life as well. Thank you for WBGL and the music that inspires me each day. You are my family through music I hear on the radio and on my computer. I think we can slow down but we can learn to cherish. there is a song that I love I can't remember the name of the top off my head but it says somethiing about my love and hope you or help you find your wings. That is what we do we send them out with what we give them ans they must find thier wings.